The other day I was craving chocolate like nobody’s business. Unfortunately for me, I can’t run to the little market down the street to grab a candy bar or cookie. Because of my looooooong list of allergies, I tend to make everything from scratch so I know exactly what’s in it. Any who! I ran to Whole Foods to grab my trusty GF/DF/Soy Free/etc chocolate chips and threw these little Chocolate Espresso Truffles together. They are SO simple to make, and they are amazing!
I absolutely love to cook, but I’m the farthest thing from a chef. I’m sure the techniques I used to make these “truffles” isn’t correct, but it’s always fun when you make something super tasty!
20 oz. (2 bags) Dairy-Free Chocolate Chips
1/4 cup Almond Milk
3 tbsp. Ground Espresso
- Melt chocolate chips using a double boiler over medium heat with a splash of vanilla extract.
- When chips are fully melted, add in almond milk and continue stirring.
- Move “dough” to a flat surface and spread out evenly.
- Sprinkle the ground espresso evenly throughout the dough and mix in.
- Roll dough into balls of even size.
- Coat each truffle in cocoa powder.
– If you do not have a double boiler, a metal bowl over a pot will work perfectly!
– Be sure to stir the chocolate constantly as it is melting so it doesn’t burn.
– You can use regular chocolate chips and milk if dairy isn’t a problem for you.
– I like to mix a little sprinkle of espresso grounds in with the cocoa powder before coating.
– If you want them a little harder (less truffle-like), put them in the fridge for 5-10 minutes.
– I leave these on the counter and they are just fine, although they never last very long, so I can’t tell you how long you can safely leave them there. Oops!
– If you’re not a coffee lover (Whaaaaa?!) add a drop of peppermint extract or a fruit infused simple syrup in place of the espresso!
I won’t lie, these puppies are strong. If you’re super sensitive to caffeine, I don’t recommend eating these later in the day. Also, if you only want a hint of coffee flavor, I would recommend using a medium or dark roast coffee instead of espresso.
If you’re a coffee lover like me, you will absolutely obsess over these little treats! I can’t wait for the next holiday to come around so I can make these for friends! If you try them out, I would love to see the finished product. Tweet me a picture or tag me on Instagram!
What are your favorite coffee-based recipes?